Dr. Karim Benchenane. CR1 CNRSe la candidature :
Leader of ATIP/Avenir team Memory Oscillations and Brain states at ESPCI ParisTech
AERES evaluation for the project : A+
Work experience since graduation
? Currently: Chargé de Recherche 1ère classe CNRS (CR1)
Head of the team ?Memory, Oscillations and Brain states?
Laboratory of Neurobiology, UMR 7637, CNRS ESCI ParisTech
? Chargé de Recherche 1ère classe CNRS (CR1) 2010-1012
Laboratory of Adaptative Processes, University Pierre and Marie Curie, UMR 7102, Paris, France. Research focus: Brain states,oscillation and memory processes
? Post-doctoral scholar at the LPPA Collège de France, CNRS UMR 7152, Paris, France. (2006-2009) PI: Sidney Wiener. Research
focus: Role of sleep in memory consolidation and interaction between hippocampus and neocortex.
? Post-doctoral scholar at the CMBN, Rutgers University, Newark, USA. (2005) PI: Esther Nimchinsky. Research focus: Study of the
role of astrocytes in neuronal plasticity with two-photon microscopy.
PhD in Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience in UMR 6551, University de Caen - CNRS, Caen. Award date Dec, 21th 2004. PhD
advisors Pr Denis Vivien and Dr Omar Touzani.
Research focus: Interaction between the tissue-type plasminogen activator and the NMDA receptor: involvement in ischemic neuronal
death and in learning and memory.
? Bachelor and Master in Biology 1997-2001; Bachelor in Psychology 1998-2000
? Preparatory classes for competitive exams to enter french 'Grandes Ecoles'
Main Publications (22 publications; H factor: 16, 821 citations)
- 1) Benchenane K#, Peyrache A, Khamassi M, Tierney PL, Gioanni Y, Battaglia FP, Wiener SI (2010) Coherent theta oscillations and
reorganization of spike timing in the hippocampal-prefrontal network upon learning. Neuron. 66(6):921-36.
- 2) Girardeau G*, Benchenane K#*, Wiener SI, Buzsa? i G, Zugaro MB (2009) Selective suppression of hippocampal ripples
perturbes learning in a spatial reference memory task. Nat Neurosci. 12(10):1222-23. *equal contribution
- 3) Peyrache A, Khamassi M, Benchenane K#, Wiener SI, Battaglia SP (2009) Replay of rule-learning related neural patterns in the
prefrontal cortex during sleep. Nat Neurosci. 12(7):919-26.
- 4) Roux L, Benchenane K#, Rothstein J, Bonvento G, Giaume G. (2011) Plasticity of astroglial networks in the olfactory glomeruli.
- 5) Peyrache A, Benchenane K#, Khamassi M, Wiener SI, Battaglia FP (2010) Sequential reinstatement of neocortical activity during
slow oscillations depends on cells? global excitability. Front Systems Neuroscience. 3(18).
? 2013: Equipe ATIP/Avenir (280 000 ?, PI Karim Benchenane)
? 2013: Programme Emergence de la ville de Paris (300 000 ?, PI Karim Benchenane)
? 2013: Funding ITMO Grant (co-PI with Pr Marion Leboyer). Title: Sleep, Inflammation and bipolar disorders (7500?)
? 2013: Funding ANR Grant (Title: AstroSleep, 74809?, PI: Christian Giaume)
? 2013: Funding by the ESPCI (team installation) (75000?)
? 2010: Funding Neuroscience and Computational Neuroinformatic, Neuro-IC (35 000 ?).
Principal investigator of the Project entitled: "MMN-P3B: A cortical column model to account for the mismatch negativity in the auditory pathway" (in collaboration with Dr. Stanislas Dehaene and Dr. Alain Destexhe).
Awards and prizes
Two of my publications as respectively first and co-first authors have been awarded.
? Award ?Prix la Recherche? (2011):
Best article in Neuroscience for 2010 delivered by the journal La Recherche, for the study Benchenane K, Peyrache A, Khamassi M,
Tierney PL, Gioanni Y, Battaglia FP, Wiener SI. (2010) Coherent theta oscillations and reorganization of spike timing in the
hippocampal-prefrontal network upon learning. Neuron, June 24;66(6):921-36.
? Award AXA?French Academy of Science (2010):
?Major advances in biological studies in France presented by the authors? for the article: Girardeau G*, Benchenane K*, Wiener SI,
Buzsáki G, Zugaro MB. (2010) Selective suppression of hippocampal ripples perturbes learning in a spatial reference memory task.
Nat. Neurosci,. *equal contribution
Supervision of students
- Gaetan de Lavilléon (PhD student; co-direction with Laure Rondi-Reig);
- Marie Lacroix (PhD student, co-direction with André Klarsfeld);
- Sophie Bagur (Master, ENS Ulm, 2013)
- Lisa Roux (PhD; principal advisor: Christian Giaume, 2010-2011);
- Noelia Do Carmo Blanco (Master 2nd year, 2013);
- Matthieu Komora (Master 1st year, 2013);
- Parvaneh Adibpour (Master 1st year, 2012);
- Mathieu Tihy (Master 1st year, 2011);
- Raphaelle Kulis (Engineer ESPCI 1st year, 2012);
- Baptiste Guédon (Engineer Ecole Centrale Paris 3rd year, 2012);
- Karim El Kanbi (Engineer Ecole Centrale Paris 3rd year, 2012);
- Joachim Zentic (Engineer Ecole Centrale Paris 3rd year, 2012).
- Responsible of a module in the specialty "Ingénierie Biomédicale et Innovation en Neurosciences (IBIN) of the Master BME,
University Paris Descartes - Paris Tech (2012-2013);
- Lecturer in 1st and 2nd year of Master in University Pierre and Marie Curie (2010 -2012);
- Lecturer in 2nd year of Master in University Paris-Sud (2012);
- Lecturer in Engineer school ESPCI-Paris Tech, Paris (2012);
- Lecturer in 2nd year of Master CogMaster (University Paris Descartes, ENS, EHESS), Paris (2012)