Student Visa

Citizens with non-Schengen citizenship have to apply for a Visa in order to legalize their status in France.

Download the useful information about visa.


Campus France - CEF procedure 

Students living in one of these 31 countries and wishing to pursue studies in France > 90 days must register with Campus France in order to obtain a student visa.

More information on Campus France 

For the first year of your Graduate Program you have to apply for a "student" long stay visa (VLS-TS).

From the 1st of June 2009, holders of a VLS-TS (for a duration of more than three months) are exempt from registering for a temporary residency permit card for their first year of study in France, as long as their visa is valid. When the VLS-TS will be issued, the consulate will give you an official form “Demande d’attestation OFII” (with instructions). 

Please contact the French Embassy/Consulate of your country for more specific information.


You will have to submit your "student" visa application to the French consulate in your country of origin. Various documents may be required by the relevant authority in order to process your visa application such as, the long stay visa application form, your passport, identity photos and also include the OFII residence form (“demande d’attestation OFII") that has to be stamped by the consulate. 

The Consulate should give your visa and the OFII residence form officially stamped.


Once arrived in France, you have to send (recommended sending with acknowledgement of receipt) to the OFII of your residence in France: 

  • The official form “Demande d’attestation OFII” received from the consulate that issued the visa dully filled. 
  • A copy of passport pages showing the visa holders identity and the stamp indicating entry into France (or into the Schengen area).

Upon receipt of these documents, the local office of the OFII will send you a letter acknowledging receipt of the form and possibly asking you to report for a medical examination if such an examination was not performed in the your country of origin or upon entering France. 

You will be called by OFII within the next 3 months following your arrival in France. On this occasion, you will have to bring some documents such as Passport; Photo; Proof of domicile in France; eventually, the amount of taxes to be paid to the OFII in tax stamp etc. 

NB: The stamp may be purchased: 

  • Online from
  • In some tobacco shops
  • At offices of the French tax authorities.